Kathak is one of the eight major forms of Indian Classical dance. The word 'Kathak' is derived from 'Katha,' meaning story. Thus, Kathak dancers are storytellers who often narrate stories from epics and legends.
Known for their grace, poise, and elegance, Kathak dancers usually remain standing onstage and narrate these stories using their hand gestures and facial expressions. With a strong link to Hindustani Classical Music, it's the only remaining classical dance form to have associations with Islamic culture.
A reputed Kathak dancer, Shruti Patki is offering a 2-day online choreography masterclass on Spark.Live. In this masterclass, she will teach her choreography of the Shiv Tandav Stotra - and will provide an edited track for your personal practice and performance.
As we all know, the Tandav is the divine dance performed by Lord Shiva. With brisk and vigorous movements, the Tandav is considered to be the source of creation, preservation, and dissolution. The Shiva Tandav Stotra is a strota - or Hindu hymn - that describes Lord Shiva's beauty and power.
In this 2-day masterclass, Shruti will teach her own choreography of the Tandav dance.
Each session will last for 1.5 hours, and you will receive 3 hours of training in total. Please attend both sessions on time to get the most out of this incredible dance form.
Shruti Patki is a professional Kathak dancer, choreographer, teacher, and performer with over 23 years of experience. She has been conducting online Kathak classes for the past six years.
As a disciple of Pandit Rajendra Gangani, the master and leading light of the Jaipur Gharana, Shruti began her dance journey in 1997 when she was just 7 years old.
Enamored by the grace, beauty, and poise of Kathak, she trained under the respected gurus of Lucknow and Benaras - Guru Pta. Maneesha Sathe, and her daughter Guru Shambhavi Dandekar. Under their tutelage, she earned her Nritya Visharad from Gandharva Mahavidyalaya in 2009.
Since then, Shruti has performed all over India, won multiple competitions, and bestowed various prestigious honors. Some of these are listed below:
- The prestigious Pt. Lachchu Maharaj Ji Award for coming in First Place at Prerna Foundation's State Level Solo Kathak Competition (2010)
- First Place in Lokmat Yuva Manch's State Level Solo Dance Competition (2010)
- First Rank All Over India in the Nritya Alankar Examination (post-graduate) conducted by Gandharva Mahavidyalaya (2012). She received the Pt. Ranganath Bendre Award in 2014 for the same
- First place at IIT Powai Cultural Festival MOOD INDIGO - Nrityangan - National Level Solo Classical Dance Competition (2012)
- Third Place in the West Zone Inter-University Youth Festival at Shivaji University (2013)
- Pandita Rohini Bhate Gold Medalist in Masters in Performing Arts (Kathak) from the Lalit Kala Kendra in Pune University (2014)
- Received the Rabindra Puraskar by the Upasana Foundation in Pune (2015)
- Awarded the Kathak Navonmesh Nritya Sadhana Puraskar by Dr. Sujata Natu and Gaanvardhan in Pune (2019)
Currently, Shruti trains BA students at Pune University and runs her Kathak dance training institute named SKILS (School of Kathak and Interdisciplinary Learning with Shruti).
Please read through below to get queries about Spark.Live answered. If any further query, reach out to us at email@example.com.